This episode was recorded on June 18th, 2017.
Kara and Tia join Mike this week to talk about the “male gaze” in comics (and all mediums). What is the Male Gaze and why is it such a big problem? How does it affect comics? What can we do to address this issue? It’s real serious this week, folks.
- 00:00:00 – Start/Last Week in Comics
- 00:19:03 – Comic Picks
- 00:32:43 – Comics and the Male Gaze
- 01:08:06 – Credits
Comic Reads/Picks for this week
- Tetris: The Games People Play
- Valiant High #3-4
- Baby Teeth #1t
- Night Owl Society #3
- Green Valley #9
- Boy, I Love You
- Die Kitty Die
- Helena Crash #4
- Star Wars #32 (Screaming Citadel #4)
- Lazarus Vol. 5
- Winnebago Graveyard #1
- The Old Guard #5
- LOBO ROAD RUNNER SPECIAL #1
- Heartthrob Season 2 #1
- Mike – @mikerapin
- Kara – @KaraSzam
- Tia – @PortratOfMmeX
- The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood
- 10 THINGS ABOUT LAURA MULVEY’S VISUAL PLEASURE AND NARRATIVE CINEMA
- The Hawkeye Initiative
- Qwantz on the Male Gaze
- Everyday Feminism – 4 Ways To Challenge The Male Gaze
- The Conversation – Explainer: what does the ‘male gaze’ mean, and what about a female gaze?
- “This one is the best” -Mike
- Finally Feminism 101: FAQ: What is the “male gaze”?
This week’s episode was produced by Mike Rapin and edited by Zander Riggs.
Have a question? Want us to talk about a topic? Submit discussion topics to our subreddit /r/IReadComicBooks or our Goodreads group and get a hold of us in the comments or here: firstname.lastname@example.org – @ircbpodcast & #IReadComicBooks.
Hey #PodernFamily listeners! Thanks for dropping by!